Monday, October 31, 2005


Eric, right behind me is Hmong. Most of the people we met in Sapa and on the hike, and in the village were ethnic Hmong people. So for the first time, we were not relying on the Native Vietnamese speakers to translate for us, we were relying on Eric! It was really wierd, that most of the people didn't speak Vietnamese. I would try to buy stuff in Sapa, speaking Vietnamese, and they would say in English "I don't speak Vietnamese." The Hmong people know Hmong and English (due to the tourism in Sapa). So I guess the minority communities in Vietnam have a lot of autonomy, not even having to learn Vietnamese. Pictured here...me, eric, rose, Saku, walking through "Bamboo forest". This is part of our 7 hour hike to the village.  Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home