Monday, September 26, 2005

A few things I think are Funny!

In no particular order

- Hair curlers: I see women everywhere wearing a big curler in their hair as a hair clip. I swear, it doesn't seem as if its actually to curl the hair, cause its just one curler, and the hair is not wrapped around it. You know, the big pink curler. Mom, you know what I mean!

- Carlsberg Girls: Most bars have "carlsberg girls" who are pretty girls in a green Carlsberg beer dress. You know Carlsberg? its: "Probably, the best beer in the world". And the girls must get a cut of the money or something, for every Carlsberg ordered? I mean, I was explaining to one of the girls that I don't want to get more "beo" or more fat. My Vietnamese American friend didn't know the word for low-calorie or anything. So he was explaining that I want the beer that will keep me from getting more fat. Her eyes light up in understanding "OH...! I think Carlsberg very healthy for you!!" Hahaha. And smoking makes you live longer...

- All the shops either have Pepsi insignia and then serve Coke, or vice versa. When we order a coke, there is a 70% chance that if they say "oh yes, we Have coke" and then they bring you a pepsi. And vice versa. Vice versa on the percentages too. haha. (this makes sense in my mind...yours?)

-If you take a car anywhere (we take taxis when we are too dolled up to go on the bus, and there are too many of us to xe om [motorcycle] it), there is a 98% chance that you will not stop once. Not one. Cars are like street gods here. There is no such thing as a red light for a car, or motorbikes, or people for that matter. Cars rule the streets. We went all the way downtown in a taxi (at least 20 min away) in heavy traffic, literally, without stopping once.

-Whole families on motorbikes: It is possible, if difficult, to fit two of us Americans on the back of a xe om. Usually its one local driver, and one American. I always must laugh though when I see a family of 5 on one little motorbike!!! It's like crazy man...i'll take a picture of it when i get the chance, so you can see how they situate themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home